Cardiff Met

Inter CardiffTHE current incarnation of the club was founded in 2000 as by a merger between UWIC and Inter Cardiff. The club changed its name to Cardiff Metropolitan University in 2012.
But the history of football at the club goes back further than that. It all started when Lake United FC renamed themselves AFC Cardiff and then merged with Sully FC to form Inter Cardiff FC. In 1996, the club was renamed Inter CableTel AFC (after their sponsors), but reverted to Inter Cardiff FC in 1999.Inter Cardiff, as they were called initially, were formed in 1990 from Sully AFC who had risen through the Barry and District League thence the South Wales Amateur League. They took over the Cwrt-yr-Ala ground, shared previously with the disbanded AFC Cardiff, thus acquiring the facilities required to compete in the top division of the Welsh Football League.
The poor facilities at the club’s previous Burnham Avenue ground had prevented Sully AFC from being promoted to the Welsh League National Division despite being champions or runners-up several times in the 1980s.
Although the club finished in 12th spot in 1991/92 they were invited to become founder members of the newly established League of Wales in August 1992. Good sponsorship and a move to the superior facilities of the Cardiff Athletics Stadium ensured a very successful first season.
After leading the table for months, they were eventually overhauled by inaugural champions Cwmbran Town and suffered the disappointment of not being granted a place in the UEFA Cup.
The withdrawal of the club’s sponsors led to Max James taking over the reins, along with Cardiff City supremo Rick Wright, thus securing the use of Ninian Park for their home fixtures.
In 1993/94 they again finished second and this time were admitted into the UEFA Cup. The draw was unkind and in the Preliminary Round of the 1994/95 competition they were overwhelmed 8-0 on aggregate by Polish outfit GKS Katowice.
Barry v Kiev
Cardiff Met play at the University's Cyndoed campus and now have a 3G pitch.
The following two seasons marked a period of reconstruction. Inter Cardiff then moved to Merthyr Tydfil in a groundshare agreement and former Everton and Scotland goalkeeper George Wood took over the manager's post.
During the 1996 close season the club earned a lucrative sponsorship deal with international tele-communications company CableTel, which meant a change of name for the club to Inter CableTel. They also returned to the Cardiff Athletics Stadium and negotiated a “Football in the Community” agreement with the City of Cardiff local authority.
In 1996/97 Inter finished second to all-conquering Barry Town and gained a massive reward in the form of a UEFA Cup tie against Glasgow Celtic. They did themselves and the League justice against the Scottish club, despite losing on aggregate. Indeed, the second leg at Celtic Park was watched by a crowd of more than 40,000.
1997/98 saw Inter CableTel challenging for a top three finish, but they narrowly missed out on a European place. Manager George Wood further strengthened his squad ready for the new campaign, looking for a quick return to Europe only to see his team slip into fourth spot at the end of that season behind Barry Town, Newtown and Ebbw Vale. Undaunted, Inter were back to their best the following year yet the strength of Barry Town meant that Inter became bridesmaids once again, finishing as runners-up in the league title chase for the fourth time in seven seasons.
European disappointment followed at the start of what turned out to be a disastrous 1999/2000 season. A 2-0 defeat away to Slovenian side Gorica (both goals in the last quarter hour) in the UEFA Cup left Inter much to do in the home leg. Nevertheless, they battled manfully and when Carl Mainwaring netted with more than 30 minutes remaining, Inter were in with a real chance of progressing.
However, it was not to be, although the 1-0 home victory could be savoured as Gorica went on to become runners-up that season in the Slovenian national league.
For Inter CableTel, however, matters went sadly awry with the loss of the sponsorship deal as well as much of the playing staff as the campaign progressed, to be replaced by the students of Welsh League side UWIC, which saw Inter slide into the relegation dogfight. Although they escaped, a meagre return of just three league victories in 2000/01 (albeit one of them against champions Barry Town) saw the re-named UWIC Inter Cardiff lose League of Wales status.
In 2003/4, UWIC applied for membership of the Welsh Premier, again proposing a ground share at Merthyr, but failed to finish high enough in the Welsh League to merit a return.
Meanwhile, the team of Cardiff College of Education (later University of Wales Institute, Cardiff) was developing. The team went through a series of name changes, mirroring the name changes of the institution it represented, originally known as Cardiff College of Education FC. They became South Glamorgan Institute FC in 1979, Cardiff Institute of Higher Education FC in 1990 and UWIC in 1996.
Since the merger in 2000, the club has played in the Welsh League until winning the title in 2016 and gaining promotion to the Welsh Premier.

Club histories and stats based on information compiled by David Rapson.