Europa League Play-offs
Sat 12 May 2012 : Maes Tegid / 14:30

Bala Town

2 - 1

Prestatyn Town

Ian Sheridan 3'
Lee Hunt 47'
30' David Hayes
Bala within 90 minutes of Euro spot
THE Lakesiders defeated old foes Prestatyn Town for the fourth time this season to earn a play-off final at Llanelli .
Playing in their first match for three weeks, Bala could not have wished for a better start as they took the lead with their first real attack in only the fourth minute.
A long ball from John Irving was flicked on by former Prestatyn frontman Lee Hunt and Ian Sheridan’s low shot went past outstretched keeper Dave Roberts and into the back of the net.
The visitors’ first chance of the game came from a corner in the 15th minute.
Guto Hughes attempted to send the ball goalwards in mid-air, but he saw his attempt cleared and this quickly resulted in a counter attack, which ended with Sheridan forcing a save out of Dave Roberts.
Prestatyn went close to scoring from a free kick on the edge of the box, but Chris Davies’ curling effort was headed away by Irving.
However, the visitors did manage to level the score from a set-piece shortly afterwards.
Player manager Neil Gibson whipped in a dangerous free kick and David Hayes rose like a salmon to head home after half-an-hour.
That was that for the opening period, but there was soon a feeling of deja-vu when Bala regained the initiative.
The Lakesiders, who had scored from the first attack of the first half, did exactly the same in the second half.
A pinpoint pass from Michael Byron set up Lee Hunt to supply a brilliant finish that left visiting keeper Dave Roberts with no chance.
Bala continued to press and Hunt had the chance to double his tally soon after, when Roberts parried a Mark Connolly free kick, however the ball came to the striker quickly on the six-yard line and he knocked the ball out for a goal kick before he had the chance to react.
At the other end, a Chris Davies cross was close to providing Prestatyn with an equaliser, but Steve Rogers could not stretch his neck muscles sufficiently to make contact with the ball.
Dave Hayes’ header didn’t cause too many problems for Bala number one Terry McCormick five minutes later, while his opposite number Roberts very nearly handed the hosts the chance to put the result beyond doubt.
Peter Doran was the first to react to Roberts’ clearance, but after running at goal, the Bala player shot wide of the target.
The tie was still in the balance and with just five minutes to play, Darren Hughes went close to levelling the tie.
Hughes shot at goal from the six-yard line, but McCormick was able to come charging off his line to make a save.
The last action of the match came from a Prestatyn corner, and the ensuing scramble in the Bala box could have seen the ball end up anywhere, but the Bala defence cleared the danger.
Terry McCormick
John Irving
Ben Collins
Stuart Jones
Michael Byron
Conall Murtagh
Mark Connolly
Steff Edwards
Lee Hunt
Ian Sheridan
Peter Doran
Line-ups David Roberts
Chris Davies
Guto Hughes
David Hayes
Paul O'Neill
Gareth Wilson
Tom Kemp
Neil Gibson
Ross Stephens
Steve Rogers
Michael Parker
Chris Mason
Danny Williams
Stephen Brown
Rhys Darlington
Mark Pullman
Subs Jon Hill-Dunt
Adam France
Carl Murray
Darren Hughes
Rhys Lewis
Dan Evans
Stephen Brown > Steff Edwards 64'
73' Dan Evans > Guto Hughes
83' Darren Hughes > Chris Davies
Stephen Brown 90'
Ben Collins 90'
22' Michael Parker
22' Neil Gibson
54' Chris Davies
90' David Hayes
  Dean John     426