Welsh Cup match report

FAW Welsh Cup Round 7
Sat 3 May 2014 / Racecourse Ground, Wrexham

Aberystwyth Town


The New Saints

Chris Venables 10'
Chris Venables (p) 12'
73' Greg Draper (p)
78' Greg Draper
87' Michael Wilde
Late TNS burst ends Aberystwyth's cup dream

WELSH Premier champions The New Saints recovered from a disastrous start to overcome Aberystwyth Town 3-2 in the Welsh Cup final at Wrexham's Racecourse Ground.
Already winner of the league's Golden Boot award, Chris Venables scored twice inside the first 13 minutes to give the Seasiders the upper hand, but the Saints responded late in the game with a brace from Greg Draper, before Michael Wilde claimed the 88th-minute winner.
The Black & Greens took the game to their full-time opponents from the start and were rewarded after 11 minutes when a corner from ex-TNS wingman Craig Williams was headed by Suuart Jones for Venables to volley past keeper Paul Harrison.
And the Saints were stunned two minutes later when Sam Finley brought down Mark Jones in the box and Venables converted the resulting penalty.
Stuart Jones could have extended the lead, but headed straight at Harrison as Aberystwyth dominated the first half.
The frustration of the lack-lustre Saints was evident as Phil Baker attempted a speculative long range effort which went miles over the bar.
The half-time subsitution of Jamie Mullan for Chris Jones changed the game as the ex-Aston Villa trainee helped put Aber on the back foot.
Wilde was denied at the far post by a Stuart Jones tackle and then had a header saved by Mike Lewis, who put in a valiant display despite needing a cortisone injection to play with an injured ankle.
Cledan Davies made a goal saving tackle to deny Wilde before Peter Hoy was lucky not to concede a penalty when he handled a Mullan cross.
Two minutes later, Hoy committed an identical offence from the same player and this time referee Brian James did point to the spot for sub Draper to reduce the arrears.
It was all TNS now and, after Finley had missed a gilt-edge chance to level the score, Craig Williams fouled Simon Spender and Chris Marriott's driven free kick was headed in from close range by Draper.
The New Zealand cap then missed an opportunity to claim a hat-trick, hitting the side netting with only Lewis to beat.
But, when Baker found Aeron Edwards with a superb pass, the midfielder crossed for Wilde to deftly turn the ball past Lewis and clinch the league and cup double.

Mike Lewis
Antonio Corbisiero
Peter Hoy
Stuart Jones
Chris Venables
Mark Jones
Geoff Kellaway
Cledan Davies
Luke Sherbon
Craig Williams
Wyn Thomas
Paul Harrison
Aeron Edwards
Chris Marriott
Phil Baker
Kai Edrards
Christian Seargeant
Sam Finley
Chris Jones
Michael Wilde
Matty Williams
Ryan Fraughan
Krzysztof Nalborski > Craig Williams 82'
Sion James
Tom Shaw
Rhydian Davies
Jamie Butler
46' Jamie Mullan > Chris Jones
60' Greg Draper > Matty Williams
68' Simon Spender > Sam Finley
Lee Fowler
Connell Rawlinson
Cledan Davies 11'
Craig Williams 74'
Chris Venables 89'
Geoff Kellaway 90'
25' Chris Marriott
26' Paul Harrison
45' Chris Seargeant
82' Ryan Fraughan
Brian James