Welsh Cup match report

FAW Welsh Cup Round 6
Sat 31 Mar / Belle Vue, Rhyl
Cefn Druids
Airbus UK Broughton
Tony Cann 24'
Tommy Holmes (og) 38'
Tony Cann 55'
Andrew Swarbrick 80'
Scorers 51' Adam Hesp (og)
Druids claim another Welsh Premier scalp
Cefn Druids v Airbus CEFN Druids claimed their third Welsh Premier scalp, beating Airbus UK Broughton to march into the Welsh Cup final for the first since 1904.
Having overcome Prestatyn and Aberystwyth on the way to the semi-final, the Ancients took full advantage of a lack-lustre performance by the Wingmakers, playing in their first-ever semi-final, and established a two-goal half time lead at Rhyl's Belle Vue Stadium.
Airbus had an early chance which Mark Danks latched on to a long ball, but side-footed wide of the near post.
But Tony Cann headed home from a Mark Harris cross after 24 minutes and Andrew Swarbrick went close just before the half hour.
Seven minutes before the break, Tommy Holmes was credited with an own goal under pressure from Swarbrick to double the Ancients' lead.
Airbus gained a toe-hold soon after the break with a highly-controversial goal when referee Brian James blew-up for a free-kick on the edge of the box but then allowed a subsequent own goal to stand after Adam Hesp had deflected a Marc Griffiths back-pass.
Undaunted, the Druids soon bounced back to restore their two-goal cushion when Cann volleyed past veteran keeper Andy Mulliner from a Warren Duckett cross.
And the final place was clinched 10 minutes from time when Swarbrick sent an angled drive past Mulliner to end a miserable afternoon for the well-beaten Airmen but spark joy from the Druids' bench and support.
Photo: Assistant boss Dave Taylor leads the Druids' celebrations after the fourth goal.
Cefn Druids
Airbus UK Broughton
Chris Mullock
Mark Harris
Joe Price
Adam Hesp
Max Peate
George Hughes
Andy Swarbrick
Tom McElmeel
Tony Cann
Marc Griffiths
Warren Duckett
Andy Mulliner
Danny Taylor
Tommy Holmes
James Connolly
Danny Grannon
Gavin Cadwallader
Eddie Hope
Mark Cadwallader
Nev Thompson
Mark Danks
Michael Hayes
Paul Speed > Andy Swarbrick 83'
John Keegan
Kieran Quinn
Ian Hughes
Craig Herling
46' Josh Roberts > James Connolly
46' Jon Bathurst > Danny Grannon
Glenn Rule
Josh Griffiths
Aaron Morrison
38' Mark Danks
85' Mark Cadwallader
Referee Brian James
Attendance 252