Welsh Cup match report

FAW Welsh Cup Round 4
Sat 28 Jan 2012 / Cae Y Castell
Flint Town United
Neath FC
Jon Rush 53'
Scorers 16' Craig Hughes
37' Chris Jones
51' Craig Hughes
Silkmen do themselves proud in defeat
FLINT made their exit from the Welsh Cup with pride intact after a spirited performance against the Welsh Premier League full-timers from Neath.
The Silkmen made a good start and it was against the run of play when a cross from Chris Jones was headed home by Craig Hughes to give the Eagles a 16th-minute lead.
But it took a great double save from home keeper Adam McGee to prevent Jones from extending the visitors' lead and the stopper was again called into action to twice deny Hughes.
The second goal arrived on 37 minutes when former Conwy United striker Toby Jones found Chris Jones, who cut inside and curled a fine effort into the net.
And the game was over as a contest six minutes after the break when a rare error from McGee gifted a simple chance for Hughes to grab his second.
Two minutes later Flint were thrown a lifeline when Shaun Beck rounded keeper Lee Kendall and set up Jon Rush to reduce the deficit.
A red card for Matty Collins left Neath to play the last 37 minutes with 10 men and the Silkmen piled on the pressure with Paul Williams denied by Kendall and Matty Hughes firing over.
Rush was just wide with another effort and Stuart Hughes missed from a good position, but Neath held firm to book their quarter-final spot.
Flint Town United
Neath FC
Adam McGee
Chris Reilly
Danny Dobbins
Jason Renshaw
John Davies
Matty Harvey
Stewart Carroll
Paul Williams
Phil Lloyd
Shaun Beck
Stuart Hughes
Lee Kendall
Ian Hillier
Jack Lewis
Matty Collins
Chris Jones
Craig Hughes
Kerry Morgan
Kai Edwards
Luke Cummings
Adie Harris
Toby Jones
Jon Rush > Stewart Carroll 46'
Mike Banks > Danny Dobbins 51'
Tom McGill > Phil Lloyd 56'
74' Matthew Rees > Jack Lewis
84' Luke Bowen > Kerry Morgan
Lee Trundle
Kerry Nicholas
Matthew Whatley
53' Collins
McGill 74'
50' Collins
Referee Huw Jones
Attendance 265