Welsh Cup match report

FAW Welsh Cup Round 7
Sun 8 May 2011 / Parc Y Scarlets
Bangor City
Llanelli AFC
Alan Bull 51'
Scorers 15' Rhys Griffiths
20' Craig Moses
60' Rhys Griffiths
64' Chris Venables
Llanelli lift the cup for the first time
Bangor v LlanelliLLANELLI lifted the Welsh Cup for the first-time in their history by ending Bangor City's 22-game unbeaten run in the competition.
City had not lost a tie since Nev Powell's appointment as manager four years ago, but the Reds rarely looked back after forging a two-goal lead inside five first-half minutes.
Jason Bowen and Antonio Corbisiero had already made hay down the right hand flank in the early stages before Bowen's cross was headed-in from 12 yards by prolific marksman Rhys Griffiths after 15 minutes.
Man-of-the-match Corbisiero then supplied the delivery for Craig Moses to net with a header at the far post.
City must have breathed a sigh of relief to be still in the game at half-time, with Ashley Evans going close with a 20-yarder and keeper Paul Smith saving a Wyn Thomas header before tipping-over a power drive from Moses, who missed a great chance for a third soon after the break.
His miskick in front of a gaping goal saw Bangor reduce the arrears within a minute, Alan Bull heading-in from Peter Hoy's deep cross.
Briefly a comeback looked on the cards as Chris Jones twice fired over the angle but, when the holders failed to clear a Chris Venables corner, Smith could not stop a Griffiths volley from restoring the two-goal cushion.
Four minutes later it was all over when Venables hit a superb 15-yarder into the far corner and only a fine one-on-one stop from Smith prevented Moses from adding a fifth in the final minute.
Photo: Rhys Griffiths celebrates his second goal [Mike Greenslade/www.mikezite.co.uk].
Bangor City
Llanelli AFC
Paul Smith
Peter Hoy
Chris Roberts
Michael Johnston
Darren Moss
Dave Morley
Clive Williams
Nicky Ward
Chris Jones
Les Davies
Alan Bull
Ashley Morris
Kris Thomas
Chris Venables
Stuart Jones
Wyn Thomas
Jason Bowen
Antonio Corbisiero
Rhys Griffiths
Chris Holloway
Craig Moses
Ashley Evans
Mark Smyth > Clive Williams 62'
Eddie Jebb > Alan Bull 75'
Sion Edwards > Chris Jones 75'
Michael Jukes
Chris Oldfield
74' Jordan Follows > Jason Bowen
Andy Legg
Craig Richards
Adam Orme
Martyn Giles
Chris Roberts 66'
Peter Hoy 70'
Dave Morley 71'
Mark Smyth 77'
Referee Mark Petch (Deganwy)
Attendance 1719