Share this article

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn
Timmy Edwards
Timmy Edwards lifts the Welsh Cup aloft in 2004.

TIMMY Edwards is arguably the best player never to have been selected for the Welsh semi-professional side.
A model of consistency during his 13 seasons in the Welsh Premier, he started his career with Rhyl in season 1994/5, before moving to Bangor City shortly after the start of the following season.
A move back to Rhyl in 1996/7 saw him spend another two seasons with the Belle Vue outfit, before he was signed by Total Network Solutions in summer 1998.
He went on to captain the Saints and win a championship medal in 2000, also being voted supporters' and players' player of the year at Treflan, making a total of 105 league appearances and scoring six goals.
In Europe, he played in both legs of the Saints' Champions League tie with Levadia Maardu and also played in the following season's Uefa Cup tie.
Edwards spent four happy seasons at Treflan, but when the Saints went full-time he was reluctant to give up his job as a housing developer.
While it was a wrench to leave TNS, Edwards had enjoyed his earlier time at Belle Vue and had no hesitation in rejoining the seaside club.
And, far from being the end of his achievements, it proved to be the start of his finest era, as he captained the Lilywhites to four trophies in 2003/4 and was ever-present in the Welsh Premier campaign scoring 10 goals from his 32 appearances.
He was also named the league's Player of the Season after team-mate Andy Moran was stripped of the award following a positive drugs test.
A bad injury sidelined him for much of season 2005/6, but he returned a enthusiastic as ever and had clocked up 373 league appearances for his various clubs when he was released by Rhyl in November 2006, scoring 36 goals - not bad for a central defender!
He was quickly snapped-up by NEWI Cefn Druids and went on to make his 400th Welsh Premier appearance in October 2007, only the fourth player to achieve the milestone, before moving to Welshpool Town the following summer.