Share this article

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn
Mickey Evans
Mickey Evans - a long and distinguished era at the Recreation Ground.

UNTIL his resignation at the beginning of June 2007, Mickey Evans was virtually "Mr Caersws" to most people in the Welsh Premier.
He had occupied the managerial hotseat at The Recreation Ground since the very first day of the League of Wales in 1992, the only manager to achieve the feat by some distance!
Caersws born and bred, he joined Wolves as a 15-year old apprentice in 1963 and signed professional forms on his 17th birthday when the late great Stan Cullis was manager at Molyneux.
After two years as a professional, Mickey joined Wrexham in 1966 for a small fee, where his career lasted 13 seasons making some 500 first team games appearances, including a European Cup Winners Cup Quarter Final, losing 2-1 on aggregate to Anderlecht (who went on to beat West Ham United 4-2 in the final).
He captained Wrexham to victory against Cardiff in one of his five Welsh Cup final appearances.
Mickey also gained two promotions with Wrexham, from the 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st Divisions, and represented Wales at Schoolboy, Youth and Under-23 levels.
His career was cut short due to a bad back injury sustained during a match against Fulham at Craven Cottage. He then became Youth Team Coach for two seasons followed by one season as assistant manager.
Mickey joined his home village club in 1983 and was manager for 17 consecutive seasons.
"There have been ups and downs and I take a lot of pride and satisfaction in what I've achieved," says Evans, who won three League Cup - in 2001 against Barry Town, in 2002 against Cwmbran Town and at the end of his reign in a penalty shoot-out against Rhyl.
He picked-up numerous manager of the month awards and he was jointly named (with Barry Town's Kenny Brown) 2001/2 manager of the year for what was a remarkable season finishing in 4th position (having been bottom of the league in November) and as a result representing Wales in the Intertoto Cup, when they lost 3-1 on aggregate to Marek Dupnitsa.
After two years' scouting for his former club Wrexham, he was re-appointed Caersws manager in June 2009.