Share this article

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn

GUILSFIELD manager Danny Barton has hit out at "conspiracy against the club" which could see them withdraw from the Welsh Cup.

The Huws Gray Alliance outfit is to make an official complaint to the FAW after their fourth round clash against Airbus UK Broughton was called off less than an hour before kick-off on Wednesday.

The cancellation followed a similar late postponement for the original conference date the previous Saturday.

However club officials have reacted with anger to the decision by match referee Nick Pratt who made the call at 6.50pm.

The South Wales official ruled the Clos Mytton pitch was unsafe, a view challenged by club officials, who were left to contemplate their future in the competition.

"I played Welsh Premier football for 20 years I have never seen a decision like it," Barton told the County Times.

"The referee turned up less than an hour before kick-off and conducted the pitch inspection in moulded boots before saying the pitch was unsafe for him and the officials.

"We asked him what standard he was measuring the pitch against and he told us Welsh Premier which is ridiculous as it would mean no club outside the Welsh Premier could host games in the Welsh Cup.

"It is all the more ridiculous when you look at some of the pitches in the Welsh Premier which are like bogs at this time of year but still passed fit.

"Anyone who saw our pitch last night will tell you that it was totally playable and players and officials from Airbus agreed. 

"It was only the referee who thought otherwise and he could not be reasoned with and I found his attitude very arrogant and defensive. Nobody could understand either his reasoning or rationale for his decision."

As per competition rules the tie will now be switched to Airbus though the Villagers have been further enraged by the suggestion the fourth round tie would be pushed to next midweek rather than the weekend.

"The club already feels cheated, the Welsh Cup is our biggest competition and now we feel we are being told by the Welsh Premier when we have to play a cup tie which is not even under their jurisdiction," seethed Barton.

"The Welsh Cup should be played on a Saturday as it takes precedence but now we are hearing that we will have to travel to Broughton next midweek. It totally devalues the cup.

"After last night the club considered withdrawing from the Welsh Cup then and there and certainly we will be making an official complaint to the FAW.

"We feel there is a conspiracy against Guilsfield Football Club and we want answers from the FAW, more we feel we deserve them."

Meanwhile, Cardiff Met University progressed to the last eight with a 2-0 away win at Afan Lido thanks to an Adam Roscrow brace. The students will now host Gap Connah's Quay in the quarter-finals.