Share this article

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn

THREE Welsh Premier clubs were dumped out of the Welsh Cup at the third round stage in a day of upsets.

Welsh League Division One leaders Goytre (Gwent) led the way with a 2-0 away win at Llandudno's Maesdu Park with goals from Kris Leek and Dan Macdonald.

Fellow Welsh Leaguers Penybont heaped more misery on Airbus UK Broughton manager Andrew Thomas with a comprehensive 4-1 win at Bryntirion Park. Marcus Griffiths hit a first half brace and, although the Wingmakers reduced the arrears before through Ryan Fraughan, player/manager Rhys Griffiths added a third for the hosts after the break with his ex-Llanelli team-mate Owain Warlow adding a fourth.

Caernarfon Town of the Huws Grays Alliance defeated Carmarthen Town 3-1 at The Oval with Jamie Breese notching two goals after the break, either side of a Lewis Harling equaliser, before Darren Thomas sealed the win in the 73rd-minute.

And Gap Connah's Quay only avoided joining their humbled WPL club-mates with a last-ditch fightback at home to Goytre United. The Welsh Leaguers led 2-1 with the game heading for stoppage time thanks to goals from ex-Welsh Premier stalwarts Tim Hicks and Dylan Blain. But, after the hosts had Tom Field red-carded two minutes from time, Les Davies levelled and then snatched a 94th-minute winner to complete a hat-trick and break the visitors' hearts.

Caldicot Town scored first at Maes Tegid through Matt James but a Lee Hunt hat-trick settled Bala Town's nerves and further goals from Mark Jones, Chris Venables and Mike Hayes sealed a 6-1 victory.

Porthmadog were no match for Cardiff Met, who cruised into the last 16 with goals from an Adam Roscrow penalty, Charlie Corsby, Will Evans and Eliot Evans.

Rhyl hit six without reply at home to Penrhyncoch, substitute Rio Ahmadi claiming a late brace, while Aberystwyth beat Holywell Town 2-0 with goals from Kurtis March and Luke Borrelli.

Holders The New Saints won 3-0 away at Newtown as Jon Routledge made it four goals in two games with a brace.

Also into the fourth round are Guilsfield, 3-0 away winners at Greenfield despite the dismissal of Jake Cook and Haverfordwest, who overcame Afan Lido with a Steffan Williams goal.

Llanfair United join them after a 1-0 home win over Corwen as do Llanelli Town, 5-1 Friday night winners against minnows Ynysygerwn, and Prestatyn Town who secured a 2-1 win over Holyhead Hotspur thanks to a late extra-time goal from Ben Maher.

Below: Jon Routledge gets the congraulations after giving TNS the lead at Newtown [Phil Blagg]. Newtown v TNS