Share this article

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn

FOUR Welsh Premier clubs fell to lower league opposition in the first round of the Word Cup on Tuesday night.

The biggest upset came at Belle Vue where the Lilywhites trailed 4-0 to Denbigh Town of the Huws Gray Alliance at half time, eventually losing 4-2. Anthony Dunleavy, Mike Sharples and Kristian Pearce with a brace did the damage for the visitors, with Rob Hughes and John Owen scoring Rhyl's second-half consolations.

Llandudno crashed 2-0 to Alliance outfit Holyhead Hotspur for whom Mike Edwards scored both goals in the first half at the New Stadium.

The biggest crowd of the night, 1015 at Nantporth, saw Bangor City go down to fierce rivals Caernarfon Town, whose goal came from Jamie Breese nine minutes from tine.

And Penrhyncoch of the Mid Wales League completed a great night for the lower tiers of the pyramid defeating WPL leaders Newtown 9-8 in a penalty shoot-out. Jon Foligno took the game into an extra 30 minutes with a goal in the second minute of stoppage time and Tom Goodwin was the first to miss a spot kick in sudden death after the game had ended 2-2 after extra-time. The Robins also had Sean Evans and Jack Perry sent-off with sub keeper Jamie Price saving a home penalty in extra-time.

There was drama, too, in south Wales where Carmarthen Town needed penalties to see off Briton Ferry Llansawel of Welsh League Division One.

Luke Prosser scored all five of the Old Gold's goals including one from the penalty spot. The visitors had trailed 3-1 but got back to 4-4 with a stoppage time goal from Gareth Jones.

Ferry had Kenyon sent-off in the extra period but Jones again equalised in the 116th-minute to take the tie to penalties, which the hosts won 5-4.

Gap Connah's Quay needed extra-time to win 3-0 at Guilsfield with a brace from Sean Miller and one from Nicky Rushton, but Airbus UK Broughton had little difficulty in winning 2-0 at Cefn Druids with goals from James Murphy and Tony Gray in the first half.

Aberystwyth beat Goytre United 5-1 at Park Avenue with Chris Venables, Darren Thomas, Geoff Kellaway, Cledan Davies and Craig Williams on the scoresheet, Adam Orme replying for the visitors.

Haverfordwest County cruised to a 4-0 win at Penybont with Luke Borrelli claiming a brace alongside goals from Dale Griffiths and John Roberts.

Ton Pentre are through to second round after beating Cardiff Met University 1-0 thanks to a Nicky Jones goal, while minnows Pontypridd Town beat higher division Taffs Well 2-1.