WELSH PREMIER FOOTBALL

Share this article

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn

PORT Talbot Town may be forced to play the opening games of the new season away from home.

The Steelmen issued an official statement on Monday night to clarify the position in response to recent rumours and uncertainties over the installation of a synthetic 3G pitch at their GenQuip Stadium home.

"On the 29th June the FAW will be deciding whether we have satisfied the conditions made at the time of the provisional offer of £350,000 grant aid they made to us in January towards the cost of installing a 3G pitch at the GenQuip," the statement says.

"If we have satisfied those conditions it is the wish of the board to go ahead with the installation of the 3G pitch as soon as possible after the important pre-season friendly and hospitality event at the match against Newport County on 11th July.

"Everyone is frustrated that it has seemed to be such a long process, in part due to delays beyond the board’s control.

"However we hope you will agree that a positive outcome will be a tremendous benefit for all our playing groups and for a far more secure future for the club as a whole. 

"Our aspirations are to use the 3G as the first stage of a project to improve all the ancillary facilities at the GenQuip to create a top quality sporting and community facility. "We appreciate that for many of you pre-season arrangements are in hand so we are mindful of the need to seek alternative plans if we are to go ahead with the installation which, dependent on the surveyors and contractors, would hopefully be finished by the end of September. 

"This makes life difficult we know and we do share everybody’s frustration but there is not long to go now. 

"However, we are acutely aware of the need for you to know with certainty what will be happening, particularly in terms of both pre and early season matches and training and will be holding a meeting as soon as possible after 29th June."