Share this article

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn

A STOPPAGE-time goal from Ian Kearney lifted Airbus UK Broughton to the top of the Welsh Premier table as previous leaders The New Saints were beaten at Newtown.

The Wingmakers edged a game as appetising as Christmas leftovers at the Deeside Stadium after bossing the first half and taking the lead with a 20th-minute Sam Hart goal.

Danny Forde hit a post for the Nomads in the first period and the hosts improved after the break, with Paul Mooney hitting a rasping drive against the crossbar.

Mike Hayes then levelled after finding himself one-on-one with keeper James Coates from a breakaway move, but Kearney capitalised after Hart's shot hit a post to score the late winner, although Danny Desormeaux then missed a great chance to equalise.

Newtown beat TNS 1-0 at Latham Park thanks to a 48th-minute volley from ex-Manchester United starlet Sean Evans.

Andy Jones went close to doubling the Robins' lead when he headed against the bar and Tom Goodwin missed a good heading chance.

Goalkeeper Mike Platt denied Chris Marriott from a free-kick in the final minute and, despite a late onslaught from TNS, Newtown deservedly held out.

Bala Town were two goals in front in the Gwynedd derby after just 13 minutes at Nantporth thanks to a Stuart Jones header and a Kieran Smith strike.

But Bangor City fought back to level by the 23rd-minute through Sion Edwards and a superb Les Davies strike.

The Citizens then scored twice inside five second-half minutes to seal the win through Jamie Petrie and Anthony Miley to remain third on goal difference from Newtown.

Newtown v TNS

Rhyl remain in the top six after sharing a goal-less draw with neighbours Prestatyn Town at Bastion Gardens, while Port Talbot notched their second win on the bounce in another local affair, 5-1 at home to Afan Lido.

Martin Rose, Gethin Jones, Lewis Harling and Rhys Griffiths with a brace were the Steelmen's scorers as Lido, who notched a consolation from Carmarthen loanee Alex Chrysanthou, ended the game with nine men following the late dismissals of Scott McCoubrey and Casey Thomas.

Right: Newtown's Sean Evans after scoring the winner against TNS [Kevin Hughes].