Airbus v Prestatyn

Share this article

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn

THE New Saints took over at the top of the Welsh Premier as previous leaders Prestatyn Town were hammered 5-0 at Airbus UK Broughton.

TNS were 4-1 winners at Aberystwyth's Park Avenue, but it took the visitors 66 minutes to break down the home defence, Michael Wilde providing the pass for Sam Finley to slot past keeper James Wood.

Chris Seargeant added the second from a free-kick but, with 12 minutes remaining, Matty Collins reduced the arrears with a curling 25-yarder from a set piece.

But hopes of a home comeback were ended when, after Wilde had hit the bar, he scored in a breakaway move and Alex Darlington added another in stoppage time.

Airbus, the league's highest scorers, needed just three minutes to get off the mark Steve Abbott headed the ball down for Ian Kearney to net from close range.

Prestatyn enjoyed a purple patch and home keeper Ben Chapman pulled off a reaction save to deny Jason Price, but Wayne Riley extended the lead with a powerful low shot.

Minutes later, Steve Tomassen's shot was helped on its way into the net by Price and, two minutes into the second half, Jordan Johnson's curling shot from the edge of the box put the result beyond doubt.

The dismissal of Greg Strong for a challenge on Tom Field added to the Seasiders' woes, and the Wingmakers finished-off a good night's work to go third in the table when Chris Budrys bundled home the fifth.

Llanelli staged a remarkable comeback at Stebonheath Park after conceding twice in a minute to bottom club Afan Lido.

After a Martin Rose penalty for the Reds had been saved by Chris Curtis, goals from Lee Hartshorn and Chris Hartland had the visitors sitting pretty but Luke Bowen reduced the arrears seven minutes from time.

Rose got the equaliser in the 89th-minute before Josh Doyle was adjudged to have fouled and Bowen despatched a penalty in the fourth minute of stoppage time to break Lido hearts.

Lee Hunt scored the only goal of the game as Bala Town continued their revival at Gap Connah's Quay.

Hunt could have claimed a hat-trick, scooping over an open goal from close range and then hitting the bar from a similar position.

Photo: Bala's Stephen Brown and Nomads' Dean Canning race to gain possession [Nik Mesney].