Four Nations Tournament match report

Four Nations Tournament
Fri 25 May 2007 / Dudgeon Park, Brora / 18.00
Chris Moore 77'
Scorers 27' Conor McDonald
Wales thwarted by Irish keeper
WALES always knew they would have to beat the English in the final game on Sunday, so dropping a point to the Irish is probably of little consequence in the ultimate destination of the Four Nations trophy.
But Tony Pennock's men had to come from behind at windswept Dudgeon Park after Waterford's Conor McDonald had given Ireland the lead with a stunning 25-yard strike midway through the first-half.
Earlier, Irish keeper Eugene Ferry produced a fingertip save to deny Michael Byrne, while debutant Chris Venables of Caersws fired an effort wide of the post.
Wales showed more urgency after the break and almost levelled when Chris Moore's left wing cross clipped the crossbar, but Ireland should have doubled their lead when David Bracken beat a hesitant Welsh defence only to send his shot straight at Dragons' keeper Tony Roberts.
Rob Duffy's volley went just wide of goal as Wales pressed for a leveller, while sub Craig Hughes of Newport was denied twice by the keeper.
Roberts palmed away another Irish effort and Chris Todd headed an attempted clearance against his own post before Wales equalised in the 77th-minute. This time Todd hit the woodwork at the right end and Daggers' marksman Moore was on hand to head home the rebound.
Rhys Griffiths and Hughes had chances to win the game but, with England sporting a vastly superior goal difference, Wales would have needed a win either way on Sunday.
Tony Roberts
Kris Thomas
Ian Hillier
Danny Parslow
Paul Keddle
Michael Byrne
Chris Venables
Adie Harris
Chris Moore
Graham Evans
Robert Duffy
Eugene Ferry
Brian Rooney
Ray Lally
Gareth Whelan
Shane Grimes
Mark O’Brien
Cathal Lordan
Noel Haverty
David Bracken
Conor McDonald
Shane Fitzgerald
Chris Todd
Gethin Jones
Chris Holloway
Lee John
Rhys Griffiths
Craig Hughes
Tony Pennock
Declan Cahill
Vincent Faherty
Mitchell Casey
James O’Sullivan
Brendan Dawson
Karl Colman
Craig Hughes - Graham Evans 48'
Lee John - Michael Byrne 56'
Chris Holloway - Adie Harris 68'
Rhys Griffiths - Rob Duffy 68'
Chris Todd - Chris Venables 74'
17' Declan Cahill - Gareth Whelan
83' Vincent Faherty - David Bracken
87' James O’Sullivan - Conor McDonald
Chris Venables 26'
Craig Hughes 78'
59' David Brackan
61' Shane Grimes
78' Declan Cahill
Referee Scott McDonald (Scotland)
Attendance 268